Judged by Niq Mhlongo, Shafinaaz Hassim, Dr Phindile Dlamini, and Dr Themba Qwabe.
Calling all aspiring writers! Win R5000 and get your story published in an anthology!
The 26th edition of the Time of the Writer festival is coming up in March and we wanted to give unpublished writers an opportunity to interpret our theme PLACEMAKING: ROOTS, IMAGINATION, EXPRESSION, INFLUENCE in the form of a short story.
- 1st place (English): R5000.00
- 1st place (isiZulu) R5000.00
- The top 5 will be selected for writing mentorship and later published in an anthology.
Eligibility and Guidelines
Writers are invited to submit an original short story (fiction) of 1500-2000 words in either English or isiZulu. Please read the instructions carefully and use the Google Form to submit.
- Writers must be residents of South Africa.
- Age: 18 and above.
- Short story must not have appeared in any other publication (print or digital) before.
- Short story must be written in either English or isiZulu.
- Short story must have a title.
- The author’s name must not be typed on the manuscript.
- Font: Times New Roman, Font Size: 12, Line Spacing: 1.5.
- Maximum 2000 words.
- Must be a follower of Time of the Writer on Facebook and/or Instagram and send us your social media handle.
Closing date: 10 March 2023
One winner will be selected from each of the 2 languages and each will win R5000. The top 5 will be mentored by a published author in a series of writing workshops and have their short story published in an anthology later this year.
For any further information, contact us on Facebook or Instagram @timeofthewriter or visit https://tow.ukzn.ac.za